LAET Legal Information
Here is your access to helpful brochures created by Legal Aid of East Tennessee.
General Information : Información General
Learn a little more about LAET in this brochure. It answers questions like: What does LAET do? Who can get help from LAET? What does it cost to get help from LAET? Where are LAET offices and how can you contact us?
No downloads found.
Consumer Information : Información para el Consumidor
- Bankruptcy Questions and Answers / La Bancarrota, Preguntas Y Respuestas
- Bill Collectors Bugging You / Los cobradores de billetes te molestan
- Chattanooga Law Project 2013 / Chattanooga ley proyecto 2013
- Foreclosure / Ejecución de Hipoteca
- Repossessions / Reposesiones
- Representing Yourself in Gen Sessions Court / Representándose En La Corte De Sesión General
- Social Security Identity Theft / El Robo De Identidad Y Su Número De Seguro Social
- Stopping a Garnishment / Parando Un Embargo
- What is a Power of Attorney / ¿Que Es Un Poder De Abogado?
In these hard economic times, foreclosure rates have hit national crisis levels. Families face foreclosure for many reasons, including the loss of one or more incomes, unexpected and uncovered major medical costs, and mortgage conditions that were not understood or properly explained. Help may come in the form of legal action obtaining justice by attacking predatory lending, enforcing contract language, or pursuing mitigation or other remedies. Help can also come in the form of an explanation of what is not possible and guidance as to what to do the next time.
Representing Yourself in General Sessions Court:
It can be intimidating, even scary to represent yourself in General Sessions Court, but it is possible to solve some legal matters without a lawyer. One of the functions of General Sessions Court is to resolve disputes involving relatively small amounts of money. Plaintiffs and Defendants need to understand how General Sessions can work for them.
Family Information : Información de la Familia
- Basic Custody Guide / Guía Básica De La Custodia
- Conservator / Conservador
- Custody Rights for Unmarried Parents / Derechos de custodia de los padres no casados
- Divorce in Tennessee / El Divorcio En TN
- Emancipation / Emancipación
- In TN a Parenting Plan is Part of a Divorce / En TN Un Plan De Crianza Es Parte De Un Divorcio
- Order of Protection – Out of State Order in Tennessee / TN Órdenes De Protección Fuera Del Estado
- Order Of Protection Booklet / Folleto De Una Orden De Protección
- Order of Protection in another state / Orden de Protección en otro estado
- Parental Relocation / Reubicación de los padres
Divorce is the legal conclusion of an important and emotionally charged relationship. It is far more complex than people anticipate, and not realizing something is an issue can result in permanent harm to the people involved. While this information does not replace a lawyer’s assistance, it can inform those taking part in divorce proceedings. Pro Se self-representation is an option for some people, as long as they thoroughly understand the procedures and pleadings required.
Orders of Protection:
Violence within our community, especially in area homes and between current or former intimate partners, continues to increase at epidemic rates. Domestic Violence is one of the primary causes of death among women. Abusers don’t get better and violence escalates without serious intervention. This cycle of violence continues when children learn to be abusers and victims by watching the behavior of the adults they love. Learn more about ending the cycle of violence here.
Health Information : Información de Salud
- (VOR)Volunteer Ombudsman Representative / Defensor Voluntario Representativo
- Affordable Care Act – Insurance / ¿Cómo me ayudará la nueva ley en el cuidado de salud?
- Affordable Care Act – Young Adults / Los adultos jóvenes y la Nueva Ley de Salud
- Are You 60 Or Older / ¿Tiene Usted Más De 60 Años De Edad?
- Long Term Care Ombudsman / Defensor Del Cuido De Salud A Largo Plazo
- Medical Bill Blues / ¿Deprimido Con Las Cuentas Médicas?
- Understanding The Steps to Social Security
Housing Information : Información de Vivienda
Mobile homes carry special legal concerns different from a house or automobile. This brochure provides a great deal of information regarding your rights while purchasing a mobile home, moving a mobile home, renting a mobile home, and where you can legally put a mobile home. It is a must-read for those already living in a mobile home or considering getting involved with one.
The person you hire to do home-improvement work is called a contractor. You could hire a contractor who has one or more special skills — a carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc. If you have a big job, you might want a general contractor. A general contractor usually hires other contractors (plumbers, electricians, etc.) to do different parts of the job. See Repair Remodel from above
- Foreclosure / Ejecución de Hipoteca
- Landlord and Tenant Guide Common Law / Guía del Propietario e Inquilino
- Renter’s Rights Combined / Derechos Del Inquilino Combinado
- Repair or Remodel / Reparación o Remodelación
- Repair Remodel / Reparación Remodelar
- Tenant Rights Under The Uniform Residential / Sus Derechos Como Inquilino Bajo Las Actas Uniformes Residenciales
- Tenants Rights under Common Law in Rural East Tennessee / Tenant_Rights_Under_Common_Law_In_Rural_East_Tn_Counties
- What You Need To Know About Mobile Homes / Lo Que Debe Saber Acerca De Viviendas Móvil
Income Information : Información de Ingresos
No downloads found.
Individual Rights Information : Información Sobre los Derechos Individuales
Juvenile Information : Información Juvenil
Miscellaneous Information : Informaciones Misceláneas
Free, Easy Online Application for Services
This free program lets you apply for help from Legal Aid of East Tennessee. We help low-income East Tennesseans, seniors, and persons with disabilities with legal issues.
If you think you are in immediate danger, call 911 right away!